Getting fined for speeding is bad enough. Paying for it is even worse.
You can spread the cost of a speeding fine by paying for it using a credit card. Scroll down to find out more about how it works and what it costs.
Can you pay a speeding fine with a credit card?
You can pay for a speeding fine with a credit card in every state and territory of Australia. However, American Express cards are not universally accepted.
Depending on the authority you are paying, there may be a processing fee for credit card payments.
|State||Accepted credit card types|
|NSW||American Express, Mastercard, Visa|
|QLD||American Express, Mastercard, Visa|
A credit card processing fee may apply.
Since they vary between states, check what fees may apply when using a credit card to pay for a speeding fine.
- A processing fee for credit card payments may be charged in some states.
- Your credit card will classify it as a purchase, which will incur the standard ongoing purchase rate if carried over into the next statement period.
- If you want to pay via BPAY with a credit card, check that your bank will not classify this as a cash advance. This would mean immediately incurring interest at the cash advance rate on the transaction and a cash advance fee.
Keep in mind
- Every state accepts Mastercard and Visa credit cards.
- American Express is not accepted universally.
- You may be able to earn points when paying a speeding or parking fine, but not every card earns points on government spend.