Are you looking for the best way to send money from Canadato a family member, friend, or business in Costa Rica?
Recipients will get more colones if you send money to Costa Rica from Canada with an online international money transfer service because they offer more competitive exchange rates and cheaper transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Costa Rica from Canada?
Best ways to send money to Costa Rica
Simplii Financial Global Money Transfer
- Get up to $300 when you send your first Global Money Transfer. Use promo code GMTEVENT to claim this offer. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Send $50,000 daily to over 130 countries without transfer fees.
- The only bank in Canada that provides Cash Pickup Service at $0 transfer fee. Send up to $2,000 per day and enjoy same-day delivery to over 40 countries.
- Use the code CASH when you send your first GMT cash pick up for $50 cashback
- Enjoy great exchange rates and low fees.
- Every transfer carries a delivery promise. Have your money delivered on time or get your money back.
- Safety and security. Remitly uses industry-standard security protocols and encryption.
- Send money up to 7x cheaper than banks.
- Receive payments like a local in 10 currencies.
- Indulge convenience by transacting thru the Wise App anytime and anywhere!
- Your money is safe. Wise is registered with the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC).
- Receive 20% off the fee on your next money transfer when you signup today.
- Offers many send and receive options with money arriving in minutes.
- MoneyGram's global network includes well-known retailers and businesses, spanning more than 200 countries and territories, making cash pick-up easy for your receiver.
- Wire internationally at excellent exchange rates.
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Costa Rica.
First time sending?
How to send money to Costa Rica from Canada
Money transfer services offer several advantages over traditional banks when sending money to Costa Rica from Canada. They are typically faster, cheaper, and more convenient. This guide will walk you through the process of getting started.
- Choose a money transfer service. Look for one that offers reasonable rates and low fees. Also compare transfer times and delivery options before choosing which one to use.
- Set up an account. This can be done online within a few minutes.
- Configure the transfer. Enter the recipient’s full name, address, bank account number (if you want to deliver funds to a bank account), and how much money you want to send. Various options may be available for how funds are to be delivered or collected. Choose what works best for you and the recipient.
- Choose your payment method. You can make a bank transfer or use a debit card. Credit cards may also be accepted, depending on the service.
- Start the transfer. Once initiated, you’ll be able to track the progress of your funds online.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Costa Rica from Canada
- Service fee. The amount a money transfer service charges for sending money to Costa Rica will depend on various factors, including how much money is being sent, how it will be delivered, and how you plan to fund the transaction.
- Collection fee. There may be a fee to collect funds in person.
- Delivery fee. Charged if funds are to be delivered to the recipient's address.
- Cash advance fee. Most credit card issuers classify money transfers as a cash equivalent, meaning the cash advance fee and interest rate will be applied to the transaction.
- Currency exchange rate. When you send large amounts of money abroad, the exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and the Costa Rican colón can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Costa Rica from Canada
Here are some alternative methods for sending money to Costa Rica if you do not want to use an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. Sending money with your bank may be easy, but it is typically more expensive, slower, and less flexible than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. Although crypto is a volatile asset, transferring crypto is generally very fast and can be extremely cheap. Once the crypto is in the recipient's wallet, they can decide whether to hold it there or withdraw fiat currency to their bank account.
- Money orders. A money order is one of the oldest ways of transferring funds between people. Once you buy the money order, it can be sent to the recipient’s address, who can cash it in. Money orders are, however, comparatively slow.
- Money transfer agents. Located in most large towns and cities. A popular option for the unbanked or if you want to use cash. Exchange rates are not as competitive as what's available online.
- Prepaid cards. Suitable for small amounts, impractical for large transfers due to limits on how much a card can hold and how much can be withdrawn in one go.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Canada to arrive in Costa Rica?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Costa Rica if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Costa Rica from Canada?
Yes, sending money to Costa Rica from Canada is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Costa Rica from Canada?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Canada and send it to Costa Rica via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Costa Rica from Canada?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Costa Rica with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Costa Rica from Canada?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Costa Rica from Canada. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.