Are you looking for the best way to send money from Canada to a family member, friend, or business in Ghana?
Recipients will get more cedis for the same amount of dollars if you send money to Ghana from Canada with an online international money transfer service because of more competitive exchange rates and lower transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Ghana from Canada?
Best ways to send money to Ghana
Simplii Financial Global Money Transfer
- Get up to $300 when you send your first Global Money Transfer. Use promo code GMTEVENT to claim this offer. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Send $50,000 daily to over 130 countries without transfer fees.
- The only bank in Canada that provides Cash Pickup Service at $0 transfer fee. Send up to $2,000 per day and enjoy same-day delivery to over 40 countries.
- Use the code CASH when you send your first GMT cash pick up for $50 cashback
- Enjoy great exchange rates and low fees.
- Every transfer carries a delivery promise. Have your money delivered on time or get your money back.
- Safety and security. Remitly uses industry-standard security protocols and encryption.
- Use the promo code FINTY and get CAD $20 bonus on your first transfer. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Send money and earn points.
- Enjoy low fees, and great FX rates. No hidden charges.
- Transfer money to 55+ countries.
- Send money up to 7x cheaper than banks.
- Receive payments like a local in 10 currencies.
- Indulge convenience by transacting thru the Wise App anytime and anywhere!
- Your money is safe. Wise is registered with the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC).
- Receive 20% off the fee on your next money transfer when you signup today.
- Offers many send and receive options with money arriving in minutes.
- MoneyGram's global network includes well-known retailers and businesses, spanning more than 200 countries and territories, making cash pick-up easy for your receiver.
- Wire internationally at excellent exchange rates.
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Ghana.
First time sending?
How to send money to Ghana from Canada
Money transfer services provide a convenient, fast, and cheap way to send money to Ghana from Canada. This step-by-step guide explains how they work.
- Choose a money transfer service and send the money. You can find reputable money transfer services on this page to help you send money to Ghana. Choose whichever suits your needs best and follow their instructions to send the money.
- Create your account. This will usually involve providing some personal information and proof of identification.
- Configure the transfer. Configure how much money you want to send, how you would like it delivered, and the recipient’s details. You will see how much money the recipient will receive, including fees. This quote may be valid for a limited time since exchange rates fluctuate constantly.
- Fund the transfer. Bank transfers and debit cards are the most widely accepted. Some services also accept credit cards.
- Send the money. Once initiated, you can track your funds online.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Ghana from Canada
- Service fee. The amount of money a money transfer service charges to send will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. Charged to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. Charged to have cash delivered to the recipient’s address.
- Cash advance fee. Set by the credit card issuer when funding a money transfer with a credit card. Interest at the cash advance rate will apply separately.
- Exchange rate. Technically not a fee, but the exchange rate can significantly impact how much your recipient will get, especially when sending large amounts of money.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Ghana from Canada
A few alternatives to online money transfer services can be used when sending money to Ghana.
- Bank transfer. Sending money with your bank may be easy, but it is typically more expensive and slower than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. If the recipient can accept crypto, this can be a very cheap and fast option. Once the crypto is in their wallet, they can decide whether to hold it there or withdraw it to a bank account. Send a stablecoin to mitigate the risk of price volatility.
- Money orders. A money order is one of the oldest ways to send money from Canada to Ghana. You can purchase a money order at your bank and then post it or courier it to your recipient in Ghana. They can then cash the money order.
- Money transfer agents. A money transfer agent is an option if you don’t have a bank account or want to use cash. Check that there is a money transfer agent near the recipient where they can collect their funds.
- Prepaid cards. A prepaid card can be helpful if you send cash to Ghana quickly. The recipient can use the card to withdraw money from an ATM, although there may be limits on how much they can withdraw at once or in a day. There may also be fees associated with using the card.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Canada to arrive in Ghana?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Ghana if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Ghana from Canada?
Yes, sending money to Ghana from Canada is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Ghana from Canada?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Canada and send it to Ghana via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Ghana from Canada?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Ghana with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Ghana from Canada?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Ghana from Canada. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.