Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to a family member, friend, or business in Kenya?
Recipients will get more shillings if you send money to Kenya from Canada with an online international money transfer service because they offer more competitive exchange rates and cheaper transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Kenya from Canada?
Best ways to send money to Kenya
Simplii Financial Global Money Transfer
- Get up to $300 when you send your first Global Money Transfer. Use promo code GMTEVENT to claim this offer. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Send $50,000 daily to over 130 countries without transfer fees.
- The only bank in Canada that provides Cash Pickup Service at $0 transfer fee. Send up to $2,000 per day and enjoy same-day delivery to over 40 countries.
- Use the code CASH when you send your first GMT cash pick up for $50 cashback
- Enjoy great exchange rates and low fees.
- Every transfer carries a delivery promise. Have your money delivered on time or get your money back.
- Safety and security. Remitly uses industry-standard security protocols and encryption.
- Use the promo code FINTY and get CAD $20 bonus on your first transfer. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Send money and earn points.
- Enjoy low fees, and great FX rates. No hidden charges.
- Transfer money to 55+ countries.
- Send money up to 7x cheaper than banks.
- Receive payments like a local in 10 currencies.
- Indulge convenience by transacting thru the Wise App anytime and anywhere!
- Your money is safe. Wise is registered with the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC).
- Receive 20% off the fee on your next money transfer when you signup today.
- Offers many send and receive options with money arriving in minutes.
- MoneyGram's global network includes well-known retailers and businesses, spanning more than 200 countries and territories, making cash pick-up easy for your receiver.
- Wire internationally at excellent exchange rates.
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Kenya.
First time sending?
How to send money to Kenya from Canada
Sending money to Kenya with a money transfer service is fast and cheap. This step-by-step process explains how it works if you haven’t used one before.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page, you can find reputable money transfer services that can help you send money to Kenya.
- Sign up for an account. This will usually involve providing some personal information and proof of identification.
- Configure the transfer. Specify the amount of money you want to send, how you would like it delivered, and the recipient’s details. The quote you receive will be valid for a limited time because exchange rates constantly fluctuate.
- Choose how you will pay for the transfer. Options typically include bank transfers and debit cards, with some services accepting credit cards. The funding method you choose affects the time it takes for the money to reach your recipient.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once initiated, you can track your funds and notify the recipient.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Kenya from Canada
- Service fee. The amount charged by a money transfer service for sending money to Kenya varies depending on the amount being sent, how it will be delivered, and how you plan to fund the transaction.
- Collection fee. An extra fee applies for the funds to be collectable by the recipient.
- Delivery fee. An extra fee applies for the funds to be delivered to the recipient's address.
- Cash advance fee. If you are funding the transaction using a credit card, it will typically attract the cash advance rate since it is likely to be considered a cash equivalent.
- Exchange rate. When you send large amounts of money abroad, the exchange rate can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Kenya from Canada
There are a few different ways to send money to Kenya if you don’t want to use an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. Convenient but more expensive and generally slower than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. If the recipient can accept crypto, this can be a very cheap and fast option. Sending a stablecoin means the recipient is not exposed to fluctuations in price like they would if receiving Bitcoin or another token.
- Money orders. One of the oldest ways to send money. They’re also one of the slowest. Once the recipient receives the money order, they can cash it in.
- Money transfer agents. Located in most large towns and cities. Check that there is one near the recipient so they can collect the funds.
- Prepaid cards. Transaction limits, such as how much can be loaded and how much can be withdrawn per day, make prepaid cards impractical for large amounts.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Canada to arrive in Kenya?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Kenya if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Kenya from Canada?
Yes, sending money to Kenya from Canada is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Kenya from Canada?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Canada and send it to Kenya via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Kenya from Canada?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Kenya with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Kenya from Canada?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Kenya from Canada. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.