If you're looking to send money from Canada to Nigeria, you'll get the best exchange rate and lowest fees by using an online money transfer service.
Money transfer services typically offer better rates and lower fees than banks, which means your recipient will receive more nairas for the same amount of dollars.
Need to transfer money to Nigeria from Canada?
Best ways to send money to Nigeria
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Nigeria.
First time sending?
How to send money to Nigeria from Canada
Money transfer services are a convenient, fast, and cheap way to send money to Nigeria from Canada. This step-by-step process explains how it works if you haven't used one before.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page, you can find reputable money transfer services that can transfer money to Nigeria.
- Sign up for an account. Registration only takes a few minutes to complete. You will usually need to provide your name, street address, email address, phone number, and photographic ID.
- Configure a transfer. Configure how much money you want to send, how you would like it delivered, and the recipient’s details. You’ll see exactly how much money the recipient will receive. This quote may be valid for a limited time since exchange rates fluctuate constantly.
- Fund the transfer. Most money transfer services offer several options for funding the transfer, e.g. bank transfer, debit card, credit card, etc. Choose whichever is most suitable for you.
- Confirm details and send money. Depending on the delivery method, the recipient will receive a notification that the money is available to collect, or it will be deposited into their bank account. You may wish to share the reference number with the recipient since it may be required to collect money.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Nigeria from Canada
- Money transfer service fee. This fee will vary depending on the amount of money sent, the destination country, the type of delivery, and the payment method used.
- Collection fee. The recipient may be charged a fee to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. There may be a fee to have the money delivered to the recipient via courier.
- Cash advance fee. Typically incurred when the sender funds the transfer with a credit card.
- Exchange rate. Although not strictly a fee, the exchange rate affects the final cost of the transaction. Choosing a method or option with a poor exchange rate can result in the recipient receiving less money.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Nigeria from Canada
Other options exist for sending money to Nigeria if you do not want to use an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. This option can take a few days for the money to arrive. It may be the easiest since your bank can do it for you, but it is also expensive since banks do not typically have competitive fees or exchange rates.
- Crypto. You can send cryptocurrency like Bitcoin to Nigeria from Canada using a crypto exchange. The recipient can then sell the Bitcoin for cash or use it to pay for goods and services. Transfers between wallets on the same exchange are usually free and instant. Options that operate internationally include Binance and Kraken.
- Money orders. You can purchase a money order in Canada and then send it to Nigeria via postal mail or courier. The recipient can then cash the money order.
- Money transfer agents. A money transfer agent is convenient if you do not have a bank account or want to use cash. Recipients can collect from a money transfer agent local to them.
- Prepaid cards. These cards can be loaded with cash and then used to withdraw cash at an ATM in Nigeria. There are limitations with this in terms of speed and the amount that can be loaded onto the card.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Canada to arrive in Nigeria?
This will depend on the method used to send the money. A bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Nigeria if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. If the recipient has no bank account, you can still send them money with a money transfer service. The sender can configure the money transfer so that the recipient can either collect cash from a specific location or the cash can be delivered to them by a courier. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Nigeria from Canada?
Yes, sending money to Nigeria from Canada is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Nigeria from Canada?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Canada and send it to Nigeria via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Nigeria from Canada?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Nigeria with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Nigeria from Canada?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Nigeria from Canada. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact with stores and people who accept it.