Do you need to send money from the UK to a family member, friend, or business in Albania?
You'll get a better exchange rate and lower transfer fees if you use an international money transfer service to send money to Albania from the UK, and that means whoever you send to gets more lek.
Need to transfer money to Albania from the UK?
Best ways to send money to Albania
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Albania.
First time sending?
How to send money to Albania from the UK
Online international money transfer services are a quick, reliable, and cheap way to send money to Albania from the UK. This step-by-step guide will help you get started.
- Choose the best money transfer service for you. We’ve listed several reputable money transfer services above that can send money to Albania.
- Create your account. You will need to provide some personal information and proof of identification.
- Configure the transfer. You will be asked to set how much money you want to send, how you would like it delivered (for example, to a bank account or as cash), and the recipient’s details. You will be given a quote for the transfer, which may be valid for a limited time only due to fluctuating exchange rates.
- Choose how to fund the transfer. Money transfer services typically accept bank transfers, debit cards, and credit cards, and some accept cash. Whatever funding method you choose affects how long it takes for the recipient to receive their funds.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once initiated, you’ll be able to track the progress of your funds. Most services provide a tracking link that can be shared with the recipient.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Albania from the UK
- Service fee. The amount a money transfer service charges to send money to Albania will vary depending on how much is being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. The recipient may be charged a fee to pick up cash from a convenient location.
- Delivery fee. An additional fee will probably be to have the funds delivered to the recipient's address.
- Cash advance fee. If you use a credit card to fund the money transfer, your credit card issuer will probably treat it as a cash advance and charge the cash advance fee (one-off) and interest rate.
- Exchange rate. When you send large amounts of money abroad, the exchange rate between the UK dollar and the Albanian lek can significantly impact how much your recipient will get. Because foreign currency exchange rates fluctuate constantly, a few minutes or an hour can affect how much money the recipient receives.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Albania from the UK
Other options exist for sending money to Albania if you do not want to use an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. This may be the most convenient, but also slow and expensive. Big banks generally have poor exchange rates and charge higher fees than online money transfer services.
- Crypto. You can buy a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin or a stablecoin on a crypto exchange. Depending on the coin, crypto transfers are fast and cheap. The recipient can hold crypto in their wallet or withdraw fiat to a bank account.
- Money orders. You can purchase a money order in the UK and then post it to Albania. Once it arrives, the recipient can cash it in. Reliable but slow.
- Money transfer agents. A convenient option if you, the recipient, or both do not have access to a bank account. Recipients can collect from a money transfer agent local to them.
- Prepaid cards. Easy to buy in the UK. However, you'll need to post it to the recipient if it isn't a virtual card. There may be a limit on how much can be loaded on it, plus there may be daily withdrawal limits and withdrawal fees.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from the UK to arrive in Albania?
Timing will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Albania if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash for an extra fee. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Albania from the UK?
Yes, sending money to Albania from the UK is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Albania from the UK?
Yes, purchasing a money order in the UK and sending it to Albania via postal mail or tracked courier is possible. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Albania from the UK?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Albania with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Albania from the UK?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Albania from the UK. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact with stores and people who accept it.