Looking for the best way to send money from the UK to a family member, friend, or business in Kenya?
Recipients will get more shillings if you send money to Kenya from the UK with an online international money transfer service because they offer more competitive exchange rates and cheaper transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Kenya from the UK?
Best ways to send money to Kenya
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Kenya.
First time sending?
How to send money to Kenya from the UK
Sending money to Kenya with a money transfer service is fast and cheap. This step-by-step process explains how it works if you haven’t used one before.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page, you can find reputable money transfer services that can help you send money to Kenya.
- Sign up for an account. This will usually involve providing some personal information and proof of identification.
- Configure the transfer. Specify the amount of money you want to send, how you would like it delivered, and the recipient’s details. The quote you receive will be valid for a limited time because exchange rates constantly fluctuate.
- Choose how you will pay for the transfer. Options typically include bank transfers and debit cards, with some services accepting credit cards. The funding method you choose affects the time it takes for the money to reach your recipient.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once initiated, you can track your funds and notify the recipient.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Kenya from the UK
- Service fee. The amount charged by a money transfer service for sending money to Kenya varies depending on the amount being sent, how it will be delivered, and how you plan to fund the transaction.
- Collection fee. An extra fee applies for the funds to be collectable by the recipient.
- Delivery fee. An extra fee applies for the funds to be delivered to the recipient's address.
- Cash advance fee. If you are funding the transaction using a credit card, it will typically attract the cash advance rate since it is likely to be considered a cash equivalent.
- Exchange rate. When you send large amounts of money abroad, the exchange rate can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Kenya from the UK
There are a few different ways to send money to Kenya if you don’t want to use an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. Convenient but more expensive and generally slower than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. If the recipient can accept crypto, this can be a very cheap and fast option. Sending a stablecoin means the recipient is not exposed to fluctuations in price like they would if receiving Bitcoin or another token.
- Money orders. One of the oldest ways to send money. They’re also one of the slowest. Once the recipient receives the money order, they can cash it in.
- Money transfer agents. Located in most large towns and cities. Check that there is one near the recipient so they can collect the funds.
- Prepaid cards. Transaction limits, such as how much can be loaded and how much can be withdrawn per day, make prepaid cards impractical for large amounts.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from the UK to arrive in Kenya?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Kenya if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Kenya from the UK?
Yes, sending money to Kenya from the UK is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Kenya from the UK?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in the UK and send it to Kenya via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Kenya from the UK?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Kenya with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Kenya from the UK?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Kenya from the UK. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.