Are you looking for the best way to send money from the UK to a family member, friend, or business in Colombia?
Recipients will get more pesos if you send money to Colombia from the UK with an online international money transfer service because they offer a better exchange rate and lower fees.
Need to transfer money to Colombia from the UK?
Best ways to send money to Colombia
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Colombia.
First time sending?
How to send money to Colombia from the UK
Online money transfer services offer a fast, convenient, and cheaper way to send money to Colombia from the UK. If you've never used one before, this step-by-step guide explains how they work.
- Choose a money transfer service. You can find established services listed on this page.
- Create your account. Some personal information and proof of identification will be required. Can be completed online within a few minutes.
- Set up the transfer. Enter the recipient's details and choose how you want to have funds delivered or collected.
- Choose how you will pay for the transfer. You can use a bank transfer or debit card. Some services also support credit card payments. Note that your choice of funding method affects the total time it will take for the transaction to be processed.
- Send. Share the tracking link or reference number with the recipient so they can track its progress.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Colombia from the UK
- Service fee. The amount of money a money transfer service charges to send will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. Charged if the recipient is to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. Charged if cash is to be delivered to the recipient’s address
- Cash advance fee. Charged by the credit card issuer when funding a money transfer with a credit card. The cash advance interest rate will also be applied.
- Exchange rate. The impact of the exchange rate can be quite profound for larger transfers.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Colombia from the UK
Some other ways to send money to Colombia include using a traditional bank transfer, sending a money order, or using a prepaid debit card.
- Bank transfer. Convenient since you don't need to open another account, but generally more expensive and slower compared to an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. Although crypto prices can fluctuate wildly, this risk can be mitigated by sending a stablecoin. However, it may take some time for you or the recipient to be ready to use crypto.
- Money orders. A slow but reliable way to transfer money.
- Money transfer agents. Found in most large towns and cities, but may not have the most competitive exchange rates.
- Prepaid cards. Suitable for small transfers where speed is not important. Unsuitable for large transfers due to limitations on how much the card can hold and ATM withdrawals.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from the UK to arrive in Colombia?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Colombia if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Colombia from the UK?
Yes, sending money to Colombia from the UK is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Colombia from the UK?
Yes, purchasing a money order in the UK and sending it to Colombia via postal mail or tracked courier is possible. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Colombia from the UK?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Colombia with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Colombia from the UK?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Colombia from the UK. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.