Are you looking for the best way to send money from the UK to a family member, friend, or business in Botswana?
Recipients will get more pulas if you send money to Botswana from the UK with an online international money transfer service because they offer more competitive exchange rates and cheaper transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Botswana from the UK?
Best ways to send money to Botswana
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Botswana.
First time sending?
How to send money to Botswana from the UK
Money transfer services make sending money to Botswana from the UK easy and affordable. This step-by-step guide will help you get started if you've never used one.
- Choose what money transfer service to use. Compare how much it will cost, how long the transfer will take, and the available delivery options. Then, choose the best service for you and the recipient.
- Open your account. You will need to provide personal information and proof of identification.
- Set up the transfer. Choose how much to send and how and where it should be delivered or collected.
- Choose how to pay for the transfer. For example, you could fund the transfer with a bank transfer, debit card, credit card, or cash. The method you choose to pay will affect how long it will take for the transfer to take place and the number of fees charged. Available funding methods vary between services.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once initiated, you'll be able to track its progress and keep the recipient informed. Some services provide a shareable tracking link.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Botswana from the UK
- Service fee. The amount a money transfer service charges for sending money to Botswana depends on several factors, including how much is being sent, how it will be delivered, and how the transaction is funded.
- Collection fee. The recipient may be charged a fee to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. Expect an additional fee if you and the recipient want the money delivered to the recipient's address.
- Cash advance fee. Funding a money transfer with a credit card will be treated as a cash advance. This means incurring the cash advance fee and cash advance interest rate.
- Currency exchange rate. When you send money to Botswana, the exchange rate between the British pound and the Botswana pula can significantly impact how much your recipient will receive.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Botswana from the UK
Alternatives to online money transfer services that can be used for sending money to Botswana include using a traditional bank transfer, sending a money order, or using a prepaid debit card.
- Bank transfer. Another easy way to send money, especially if you have a Botswana bank account. Be aware that there are fees associated with this service, and the exchange rate may not be as favourable as other options.
- Crypto. You could buy a stablecoin and transfer that to the recipient’s crypto wallet. From there, they can withdraw to a bank account.
- Money orders. A money order is one of the oldest ways to send money from one person to another. Once you purchase the money order, you can send it to your recipient by postal mail or courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank.
- Money transfer agents. If the recipient doesn’t have a bank account, you can send them money via a money transfer agent.
- Prepaid cards. These can be used to withdraw cash at an ATM in Botswana. However, you may need to pay a foreign exchange transaction fee, and there may be limits on how much you can load onto the card and how much the recipient can withdraw.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from the UK to arrive in Botswana?
The length of time will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Botswana if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Botswana from the UK?
Yes, sending money to Botswana from the UK is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Botswana from the UK?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in the UK and send it to Botswana via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Botswana from the UK?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Botswana with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Botswana from the UK?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Botswana from the UK. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact with stores and people who accept it.