To send money from the UK to Indonesia, you should use a money transfer service instead of a bank for the best exchange rate and lowest fees.
Online international money transfer services usually have better rates and lower fees than banks. However, using one of them to send money means the recipient will get more rupiah for the same amount.
Need to transfer money to Indonesia from the UK?
Best ways to send money to Indonesia
- Enjoy great exchange rates and low fees.
- Every transfer carries a delivery promise. Have your money delivered on time or get your money back.
- Safety and security. Remitly uses industry-standard security protocols and encryption.
- Use the promo code FINTY and get £10 bonus on your first transfer. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Send money and earn points.
- Enjoy low fees, and great FX rates. No hidden charges.
- Transfer money to 55+ countries.
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Indonesia.
First time sending?
How to send money to Indonesia from the UK
Online money transfer services are faster and easier to transfer funds to Indonesia from the UK. This step-by-step guide explains how they work.
- Choose a money transfer service to use. Compare fees, transfer times, delivery options, etc. Choose whichever one suits your needs best.
- Open your account. This will usually involve providing some personal information and proof of identification.
- Set up the transfer. You’ll need to provide details of the recipient’s full name, address, bank account number (if that’s where you want funds delivered), and how much money to send. Depending on the service used, it may be possible to choose how funds will be delivered to the recipient.
- Choose how to pay for the transfer. This could be with a bank transfer, debit card, credit card, or cash. How you fund the transfer will affect the time it takes to transfer the money.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once initiated, you’ll be able to track its progress and keep the recipient informed.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Indonesia from the UK
- Service fee. The amount of money a money transfer service charges to send to Indonesia will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. Charged to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. Charged to have cash delivered to the recipient’s address.
- Cash advance fee. Set by the credit card issuer when funding a money transfer with a credit card. Interest applies separately.
- Exchange rate. When you send large amounts of money abroad, the exchange rate can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Indonesia from the UK
Should you need an alternative to an international money transfer service, here are some of the best options.
- Bank transfer. Convenient but more expensive and generally slower than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. If the recipient can accept crypto, this can be a very cheap and fast option. Sending a stablecoin means the recipient is not exposed to fluctuations in price like they would if receiving Bitcoin or another token.
- Money orders. One of the oldest ways to send money. They’re also one of the slowest. Once the recipient receives the money order, they can cash it in.
- Money transfer agents. Located in most large towns and cities. Check that there is one near the recipient so they can collect the funds.
- Prepaid cards. Transaction limits, such as how much can be loaded and how much can be withdrawn per day, make prepaid cards impractical for large amounts.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from the UK to arrive in Indonesia?
The length of time it takes depends on how the money was sent. For example, bank transfers can take a few days to arrive. On the other hand, the fastest money transfer services can deliver funds within minutes.
Can I send money to Indonesia if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can use a money transfer service to send money to someone in Indonesia with no bank account. Alternatives include sending crypto, a money order, a prepaid card, or using a money transfer agent.
Is it safe to send money to Indonesia from the UK?
Yes. It is safe if you choose a trusted company for your money transfer. We only work with established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Indonesia from the UK?
Yes. A money order can be purchased in the UK and cashed in Indonesia at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Indonesia from the UK?
Yes. It’s possible to fund a money transfer to Indonesia with a credit card, but there are considerations. For example, most banks will classify such purchases as the equivalent of cash and charge the cash advance interest rate and cash advance fee.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Indonesia from the UK?
Yes. Bitcoin, Ethereum, and many other cryptocurrencies can be sent to Indonesia.