Are you looking for the best way to send money from the UK to a family member, friend, or business in the Maldives?
Recipients will get more rufiyaas for the same amount of pounds if you send money to the Maldives from the UK using an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and lower fees.
Need to transfer money to Maldives from the UK?
Best ways to send money to Maldives
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Maldives.
First time sending?
How to send money to Maldives from the UK
Money transfer services offer a quick, easy, and affordable way to send money to the Maldives from the UK. If you’ve never used one before, this step-by-step guide will show you how.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page, you can find reputable money transfer services to transfer money to the Maldives.
- Sign up for an account. You will need to provide some personal information and proof of identification.
- Configure your transfer. You’ll need to nominate the amount you want to send, how you would like the funds delivered, and the recipient’s details. You’ll see exactly how much money the recipient will receive with a quote, which may be valid for a limited time only due to constantly changing exchange rates.
- Choose how to pay for your transfer. You can use a bank transfer or debit card with nearly any provider. Some accept credit cards. The funding method you choose will affect how long it takes to send the money and how much the recipient will receive.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Confirm your transaction, and your funds will be sent. You can often track the progress of your transaction online or through a mobile app. You should inform your recipient of the amount you have sent and the transaction's reference number.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Maldives from the UK
- Service fee. The amount a money transfer service charges to send your funds will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. An additional fee may apply if you would like your recipient to be able to pick up their funds in cash.
- Delivery fee. Some money transfer services will deliver cash to your recipient's address, for an additional fee.
- Cash advance fee. This is a fee charged by a credit card issuer if you choose to fund your transfer by using a credit card. Separate interest charges will also apply.
- Exchange rate. When you send money overseas, the exchange rate used by the money transfer service can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Maldives from the UK
Here are some options you can use if you’re looking for an alternative to an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. Convenient but more expensive and generally slower than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. Send the recipient a stablecoin, so they are less exposed to volatility in the market.
- Money orders. One of the oldest ways to send money. They’re also one of the slowest. Once the recipient receives the money order, they can cash it in.
- Money transfer agents. Located in most large towns and cities. Check that there is one near the recipient so they can collect the funds.
- Prepaid cards. Transaction limits, such as how much can be loaded and how much can be withdrawn per day, make prepaid cards impractical for large amounts.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from the UK to arrive in Maldives?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Maldives if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to the Maldives from the UK?
Yes, sending money to the Maldives from the UK is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to the Maldives from the UK?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in the UK and send it to the Maldives via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, local post office or similar agency.
Can I use my credit card to send money to the Maldives from the UK?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Maldives with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to the Maldives from the UK?
In 2018 several banks in the Maldives announced that no business or individual in the Maldives had been granted permission to carry out financial transactions in cryptocurrencies or any virtual currencies. The Maldives Monetary Authority (MMA) further points out that under law no. 6/81 (Maldives Monetary Act 1981) the MMA is solely responsible for permitting any money exchange businesses in the Maldives. However, several tourist hotels have recently started accepting cryptocurrency payments.