Are you looking for the best way to send money from the UK to a family member, friend or business in Uruguay?
Recipients will get more pesos for the same amount of pounds if you send money to Uruguay from the UK using an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and lower fees.
Need to transfer money to Uruguay from the UK?
Best ways to send money to Uruguay
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Uruguay.
First time sending?
How to send money to Uruguay from the UK
Online money transfer services are a quick, easy, and affordable way to send money to Uruguay from the UK. This step-by-step guide explains how they work if you’ve never used one before.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page you will find reputable money transfer services that can transfer money to Uruguay.
- Create an account. This involves providing some personal information and proof of identification.
- Configure the transfer. You will need to provide the recipient’s full name, address, bank account number (if you want funds delivered to a bank account), and how much money to send. Depending on the service used, it may be possible to choose how funds are delivered to the recipient.
- Choose your payment method. You can use a bank transfer, debit card or cash, and in some cases a credit card, to pay for your money transfer. Which one you choose will affect the amount you are charged in fees and the time it takes to process the transfer.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once initiated, you should be able to track the progress of your funds and inform the recipient of the details.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Uruguay from the UK
- Service fee. The amount a money transfer service charges to process your transaction will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. An extra fee charged if you would like your recipient to be able to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. An additional fee charged to have cash delivered to the recipient’s address by courier, if you choose this delivery method.
- Cash advance fee. A fee charged by the credit card issuer if you fund a money transfer with a credit card. Interest charges also apply.
- Exchange rate. When you send money overseas, the exchange rate used by the transfer service can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Uruguay from the UK
If you prefer not to use an online money transfer service, there are other ways to send money to Uruguay.
- Bank transfer. Convenient but more expensive and generally slower than an online money transfer service.
- Crypto. If the recipient can accept crypto, this can be a very cheap and fast option. Sending a stablecoin means the recipient is not exposed to fluctuations in price, as they would be if receiving Bitcoin or another token.
- Money orders. One of the oldest ways to send money, they’re also one of the slowest. Once the recipient receives the paper money order by mail or courier, they can cash it in.
- Money transfer agents are located in most large towns and cities. Check that there is one near the recipient so they can collect the funds.
- Prepaid cards. Transaction limits, such as how much can be loaded and how much can be withdrawn per day, make prepaid cards impractical for large amounts.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from the UK to arrive in Uruguay?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with an online money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Uruguay if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Uruguay from the UK?
Yes, sending money to Uruguay from the UK is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Uruguay from the UK?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in the UK and send it to Uruguay via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, or similar agency.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Uruguay from the UK?
Yes. Some transfer services allow you to fund a money transfer to Uruguay with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Uruguay from the UK?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Uruguay from the UK. However, Uruguay has not yet enacted regulations or legislation regulating digital currency, so it may be a less safe destination for cryptocurrency.