Who are EZ-Link credit cards suitable for?
EZ-Link credit cards are ideal for:
- Frequent users of public transport, such as buses or MRTs
- People seeking convenience and efficiency when travelling
- Those who want to earn rewards, like miles and cashback, while spending on public transport
What to compare for EZ-Link credit cards
Here are a few points to consider when comparing credit card deals.
- Rewards offered. What are the rewards or benefits? Does the card earn cash rebates, earn points per dollar, or vouchers for savings.
- Earning conditions. Are there minimum spends or specific spending categories with caps or tiers on what you can earn?
- Redemption process. Is redeeming rewards a hassle, or is it straightforward and simple? How long does it take for points to post to your account if they are transferable?
How to compare EZ-Link credit cards
Follow these steps to compare your EZ-Link credit card options:
- Create a list of the most important features and benefits based on your needs and preferences. This could be issuer, rewards program, digital wallet support, etc.
- Research and filter out what the compatible EZ-Link credit cards are, then gather further information on their features.
- Things to look into include the card's welcome bonus (if there is one), rewards earn rate, earning conditions (caps, tiers, preferential categories), transfer partners, etc.
- Evaluate the cards based on their annual fee, interest rates, and any additional perks that may interest you.
- Check that you meet the minimum criteria to improve your chances of being approved.
- Narrow down your options, select the most suitable card for you, and apply.
Pros and cons
- Convenient tap-and-go transactions for public transport
- Earn rewards in the form of points, cashback, or vouchers
- Less need for cash while travelling on public transport
- Some cards have spending caps or tiered rewards systems
- Rewards cards are typically more expensive to keep open
Can an EZ-Link compatible credit card be used for more than just public transportation?
Yes, most EZ-Link credit cards can also function as a regular credit card, allowing you to make purchases at various merchants in Singapore and overseas.