Air miles credit cards in Singapore are linked to airline frequent flyer programs.
Members of airline frequent flyer programs can earn air miles when they purchase flights, redeeming the accumulated miles for future flights or seat upgrades. But it is also possible to earn lots of additional air miles for all your spending with an air miles card.
Some cards which appear to be air miles cards actually earn points in a bank's rewards program (e.g. Citi Miles or DBS Points) rather than directly with an airline (e.g. KrisFlyer Miles). The bank's rewards points then need to be converted to air miles – to, for example, KrisFlyer Miles, Asia Miles, Enrich, Royal Orchid Plus, Garuda Frequent Flyer, and more. This could take time and involve paying a fee (e.g. $25), before they can be redeemed for flights.
Miles credit cards in Singapore earn air miles for spending on eligible purchases
Every eligible purchase that you make with your card, no matter what you are buying, will earn either direct air miles with a specific airline, or rewards points which can be converted to air miles with a number of airlines, depending on which card you choose.
The best miles credit cards in Singapore are loaded with other benefits
The best miles credit card will come with other benefits attached. The higher the miles earning rate and the more extensive the benefits, the higher the annual fee will be, in most cases. It is possible, however, to have an air miles card with no annual fee, or an annual fee waived in the first year only, or in every year when a target spending level is reached.
You can expect your air miles card to come with at least some of the following benefits.
- Bonus miles for account approval, first spending, target spending and card renewal
- Higher miles earning rate for a particular area of spending, such as travel or entertainment, or overseas spend
- Cash or merchandise gift on sign-up or first spend
- Annual fee waiver for reaching a target spending amount
- Discounts on petrol purchases
- Discounts on groceries
- Discount on online travel bookings
- Complimentary travel insurance
- Complimentary airport lounge access
- Complimentary airport limousine service
- Complimentary hotel nights
- Discount on luxury lifestyle perks, e.g. golf, yachts, private jets
- A concierge or lifestyle butler service
Annual fee on air miles cards
Annual fees for air miles credit cards usually start at around $160 and can be as high as $500 or more, depending on the miles earning rate and other attached benefits. However, it is possible to get a card with no annual fee and a lower air miles rate per dollar spent, or an annual fee waiver in the first year or two, or in subsequent years in return for reaching a target spending amount.
It’s best to avoid a high-fee air miles card if you don’t plan to pay off the balance of your account every month, because the high interest charges will cost more than the value of any miles you could earn.