Are you looking for the best way to send some money from Australia to a family member, friend, or business in Afghanistan?
The fees are lower, and you'll get a better exchange rate if you use an international money transfer service to send money to Afghanistan from Australia. It also means the recipient gets more afghanis in their pocket.
Need to transfer money to Afghanistan from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Afghanistan
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Afghanistan.
First time sending?
How to send money to Afghanistan from Australia
Money transfer services are a safe, fast, and cheap way to send money to Afghanistan from Australia. This step-by-step guide explains how they work.
- Choose a money transfer service. You can compare reputable money transfer services that can transfer money to Afghanistan on Finty.
- Open an account. It doesn't take long to open an account. But first, you may need to verify your identity.
- Configure the transfer. You will need to provide your recipient's name, address, and bank account information (if they have one). This is when you can choose how the funds should be delivered, for example, picked up by the recipient.
- Choose your funding source. Depending on your chosen service, you can use a bank transfer, debit or credit card, or cash to fund your money transfer. The method you choose will determine how long it will take for the recipient to receive the funds.
- Send. Once the transfer has been initiated, you can track its progress. You may be provided with a link so the recipient can check too.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Afghanistan from Australia
- Service fee. The service fee for sending money to Afghanistan from Australia will vary depending on how much is being sent, how it will be delivered, and how the transaction is funded.
- Collection fee. The recipient may be charged a fee to receive the money.
- Delivery fee. Most money transfer services charge a delivery fee to deliver cash to the recipient at an agreed address.
- Cash advance fee. If you fund the transfer with a credit card, you will probably incur your credit card's cash advance fee and interest rate.
- Exchange rate. The rate you get is more important when sending a large amount of money from Australia to Afghanistan.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Afghanistan from Australia
Other options exist for sending money to Afghanistan if, for some reason, you do not want to use an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. Assuming your existing bank can send money to Afghanistan, it will probably be more expensive and slower than an online international money transfer service due to banks' uncompetitive fees and exchange rates.
- Crypto. Transferring cryptocurrency like a stablecoin is fast and relatively cheap. The recipient can choose whether to hold their crypto or withdraw it to a bank account, although this may be challenging in Afghanistan.
- Money orders. You can purchase a money order in Australia and then send it to the recipient's address in Afghanistan via postal mail or courier. The recipient can then cash the money order. Money orders are a trade-off between reliability with speed.
- Money transfer agents. An option if you don't have a bank account or want to use cash. Recipients can collect from a money transfer agent local to them, which may limit its appropriateness.
- Prepaid cards. Load cash in Australia and send it to the recipient in Afghanistan, who can withdraw money at an ATM. Potential drawbacks include how long delivery might take and how much can be loaded onto and drawn from the card.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Afghanistan?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Afghanistan if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Afghanistan from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Afghanistan from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Afghanistan from Australia?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Australia and send it to Afghanistan via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Afghanistan from Australia?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Afghanistan with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Afghanistan from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Afghanistan from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact with stores and people who accept it.