If you're looking to send money from Australia to the Balkans, you'll get the best exchange rate and lowest fees by using an online money transfer service.
Money transfer services typically offer better rates and lower fees than banks, which means your recipient will receive more for the same amount of dollars.
Need to transfer money to the Balkans from Australia?
Best ways to send money to the Balkans
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to the Balkans.
First time sending?
How to send money to the Balkans from Australia
Overall, sending money with a money transfer service is easy and fast. Here’s how it works.
- Choose a service. There are a few things to consider when choosing how to send money to the Balkans, including the fees associated with the transfer, the speed of the transfer, the delivery options available, and other factors such as ease of use, security, etc. You can find reputable services on this page.
- Open your account. You will need to provide some personal information and proof of identification. Then, you can open an account online.
- Configure your transfer. Choose how much money you want to send, how you would like it delivered, and the recipient’s details. You’ll see exactly how much money the recipient will receive. This quote may be valid for a limited time since exchange rates fluctuate constantly.
- Choose how to pay for the transfer. Different services support different funding methods. For example, bank transfers, debit cards, credit cards, and cash may be accepted. How you fund the transfer will affect the time it takes to make the transfer and how quickly the recipient will get the money.
- Confirm the details and send. Depending on the service, the recipient will receive a notification that the money is on its way. You may wish to share the reference number with the recipient since it may be required to collect money.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to the Balkans from Australia
- Service fee. The cost of sending money to the Balkans with a money transfer service will vary depending on how much is being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. If the service supports collections, they'll probably charge an extra fee.
- Delivery fee. Not every service offers cash delivery. If they do, it typically costs extra.
- Cash advance fee. If you fund a money transfer with a credit card, your transaction will be treated as a cash advance. You will pay the cash advance fee plus interest from the date you make the transaction.
- Currency exchange rate. When you send large amounts of money abroad, the exchange rate between the Australian dollar and the relevant currency can significantly impact how much your recipient will get. Because foreign currency exchange rates fluctuate constantly, a few minutes or an hour can affect how much money the recipient receives.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to the Balkans from Australia
There are a few alternative money transfer services for sending money to the Balkans.
- Banks. You can send money to a bank account in the Balkans from your Australian bank account. However, the process will take a few days, and you will likely incur fees from both your bank and the recipient’s bank.
- Crypto. You can buy crypto and transfer it to the recipient’s wallet. Once the transfer is completed, typically within minutes, the recipient can withdraw funds to their bank account.
- Money orders. One of the most convenient ways to transfer money. The problem is how long it takes since the money transfer may need to be posted to the recipient.
- Money transfer agents. A money transfer agent is convenient if you do not have a bank account or want to use cash. Recipients can collect from a money transfer agent local to them.
- Prepaid cards. If you have a prepaid card, you can load it with cash and then use it to withdraw cash at an ATM in the Balkans. However, the amount of money that can be loaded onto the card may be limited, and there may be fees for loading and withdrawing cash.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in the Balkans?
The length of time will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to the Balkans if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect the cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the funds to them for an extra fee. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to the Balkans from Australia?
Yes, sending money to the Balkans from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to the Balkans from Australia?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Australia and send it to the Balkans via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to the Balkans from Australia?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to the Balkans with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to the Balkans from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to the Balkans from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact with stores and people who accept it.