Are you looking for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend, or business in Bulgaria?
Recipients will get more levs if you send money to Bulgaria from Australia with an online international money transfer service because they offer more competitive exchange rates and cheaper transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Bulgaria from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Bulgaria
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Bulgaria.
First time sending?
How to send money to Bulgaria from Australia
Money transfer services offer a fast, easy, and affordable way to send money to Bulgaria from Australia. Follow this step-by-step guide if you’ve never used one before.
- Choose the money transfer service that best suits your needs. On this page, you can find reputable money transfer services that can help you send money to Bulgaria.
- Create an account. This will usually involve providing personal information and proof of identification.
- Configure the transfer. You will be asked to specify the amount of money you want to send, how you would like it delivered (to a bank account or in cash), and the recipient’s details. Then, you’ll see precisely how much money the recipient will receive. This quote may be valid for a limited time since exchange rates constantly fluctuate.
- Choose your payment method. Depending on the service, you can use a bank transfer, debit card, credit card, or cash to fund the transfer. The funding method affects how long the transfer will take.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once initiated, you’ll be able to track its progress. You may wish to share the reference number with the recipient since it may be required to collect money.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Bulgaria from Australia
- Service fee. How much a money transfer service charges for sending money to Bulgaria depends on several factors, including the amount of money sent, the destination country, and the type of delivery.
- Collection fee. There may be a fee if the recipient wants to collect the cash instead of it being deposited into their bank account.
- Delivery fee. Most services charge extra for the convenience of delivering to the recipient's address.
- Cash advance fee. If you use a credit card to fund the transfer, you'll probably be charged a one-off cash advance fee and incur the cash advance interest rate on the transaction.
- Currency exchange rate. When you send large amounts of money abroad, the exchange rate between the Australian dollar and the Bulgarian lev can significantly impact how much your recipient will get. Because foreign currency exchange rates fluctuate constantly, a few minutes or an hour can affect how much money the recipient receives.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Bulgaria from Australia
Several alternatives exist to using an online money transfer service to send money to Bulgaria. Each option has its pros and cons, so it is important to research to see which would work best for you.
- Bank transfer. Sending money with your bank may be convenient, but it is typically more expensive, slower, and less flexible than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. This is particularly convenient and fast if the recipient has a crypto wallet already. For example, you could buy a stablecoin on a crypto exchange and transfer that to their wallet. Then, they can hold it in their crypto wallet or withdraw it to their bank account.
- Money orders. A money order is one of the oldest ways of transferring funds. Once you purchase the money order, it can be sent to the recipient’s address, who can cash it in. Money orders are, however, comparatively slow.
- Money transfer agents. If you don’t have a bank account or want to use cash, you could use a money transfer agent. Ask if there is one near the recipient.
- Prepaid cards. A prepaid card can be a helpful way to send money to Bulgaria. The recipient can use the card to withdraw cash from an ATM or make purchases. Most prepaid cards limit how much money can be loaded and spent. Check the terms and conditions of the card before you buy it.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Bulgaria?
The length of time will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Bulgaria if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash for an extra fee. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Bulgaria from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Bulgaria from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Bulgaria from Australia?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Australia and send it to Bulgaria via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Bulgaria from Australia?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Bulgaria with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Bulgaria from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Bulgaria from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact with stores and people who accept it.