What's the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend, or business in Burundi?
Recipients will get more francs if you send money to Burundi from Australia with an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and cheaper transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Burundi from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Burundi
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Burundi.
First time sending?
How to send money to Burundi from Australia
Sending money to Burundi from Australia was once a complicated and expensive process, but now several reliable and affordable money transfer services are available. This step-by-step guide explains how they work and how to get started.
- Choose a money transfer service to use. Compare fees, transfer times, delivery options, etc. Choose whichever best suits your needs.
- Register an account. Registration takes only a few minutes to complete. You must provide your name, street address, email address, phone number, and photographic ID.
- Configure the transfer. Choose how much money you want to send, how you would like it delivered, and the recipient’s details. You’ll see precisely how much the recipient will receive. This quote may be valid for a limited time as rates constantly fluctuate.
- Choose your payment method and send money. You can typically choose from several funding methods: bank transfer, card, or cash. The funding method can affect how long the transaction takes and the fees charged.
- Transfer begins. After you have chosen how you will pay for your transfer, the funds will be sent, and you can track their progress. A tracking number may be available so the recipient can track its progress.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Burundi from Australia
- Service fee. Money transfer service fees vary depending on the amount sent, the destination, the type of delivery, and the payment method used.
- Collection fee. The amount charged if the money is to be picked up by the recipient.
- Delivery. The amount charged to have cash delivered to the recipient at their address.
- Cash advance fee. If you are funding the transaction using a credit card, it will typically equal the cash advance rate since it is likely to be considered a cash equivalent.
- Currency exchange rate. When you send large amounts of money abroad, the exchange rate between the Australian dollar and the Burundian franc can significantly impact how much your recipient will receive. Foreign currency exchange rates constantly fluctuate, so a few minutes or an hour can affect how much money the recipient receives.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Burundi from Australia
You can use other methods to send money to Burundi if you don’t want to use an online money transfer service. These include a money transfer service at a physical location, sending cash through the mail, or using a prepaid debit card.
- Bank transfer. Sending money with your existing bank may be convenient, but it comes at a cost. Bank exchange rates are usually uncompetitive against online money transfer services. Additionally, their fees are typically higher, and transfers can take a few days to arrive.
- Crypto. Transfers on the blockchain are fast and cheap, but not everyone is set up to use it. However, getting a crypto wallet where funds can be received is easy and free. However, note that crypto in Burundi is notoriously prone to hacking.
- Money order. A money order is one of the oldest ways of transferring funds. Once you purchase the money order, it can be sent to the recipient’s address, and they can cash it in. Money orders are, however, comparatively slow.
- Money transfer agents. An option if you want to fund the transfer with cash. Check where the recipient can collect the funds in Burundi.
- Prepaid card. A prepaid card can be a good option for sending money to Burundi as it can be used to withdraw cash from an ATM or make purchases. However, there may be fees for loading cash onto the card, and some cards limit how much can be spent.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Burundi?
The length of time will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Burundi if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or the cash can be delivered to them by a courier. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Burundi from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Burundi from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Burundi from Australia?
Yes, purchasing a money order in Australia and sending it to Burundi via post or tracked courier is possible. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Burundi from Australia?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Burundi with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Burundi from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Burundi from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it at stores and with people who accept it.