Are you looking for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend, or business in Canada?
Recipients will get more dollars if you send money to Canada from Australia with an online international money transfer service because of their more competitive exchange rates and cheaper transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Canada from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Canada
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Canada.
First time sending?
How to send money to Canada from Australia
An online money transfer service is a quick and reliable way to send money to Canada from Australia. This step-by-step guide will show you how they work if you've never sent money using one before.
- Choose the best way to send money to Canada. Compare fees, transfer times, delivery options, and other factors. Choose whichever service suits you best.
- Sign up for an account. Registration only takes a few minutes to complete. You will usually need to provide your name, street address, email address, phone number, and photographic ID.
- Configure the transfer. You’ll need to select how much money you want to send, how you would like the funds delivered, and provide the recipient’s details.
- Choose how to pay for the transfer. Bank transfers and debit cards are the most widely accepted funding methods. Many services also accept credit cards. Your choice of funding method can affect the overall time it takes for the transfer to complete.
- Confirm the details and send the money. You'll be able to track its progress online.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Canada from Australia
- Service fee. How much the money transfer service charges for sending money to Canada will depend on a number of factors, including how much you send, how you want it delivered, and how you plan to fund the transaction.
- Collection fee. This is a one-off fee charged by the service for the recipient to collect funds.
- Delivery fee. This one-off fee is charged for the service of delivering cash to the recipient at their address.
- Cash advance fee. Charged by the credit card issuer, if you choose to fund the transfer with a credit card.
- Currency exchange rate. When you send large amounts of money abroad, the exchange rate between the Canadian and Australian dollar can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Canada from Australia
There are a few different ways to send money to Canada if you don't want to use an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. You can send money to Canada using your bank. This is typically more expensive than using an international money transfer service. Funds may also arrive slower when sent from your bank.
- Crypto. A fast and low-cost way to transfer funds. Buy the equivalent amount in a stablecoin and transfer it to the recipient, who can hold it in their wallet or withdraw fiat to a bank account. However, crypto can be a bit of a learning curve.
- Money orders. A long-established way of transferring funds between people, but will take significantly longer than online money transfers. Once you buy the money order from your bank, you can send it to your recipient’s address in Canada and they can then cash it in.
- Money transfer agents. Locations in most large towns and cities. Popular for people who are unbanked or want to use cash. Exchange rates are less competitive than what's available online, but transfers are fast.
- Prepaid cards. It’s possible to load a prepaid card and send it to the recipient, who can use it to spend or withdraw cash at an ATM in Canada. There are often limitations on how much money a prepaid card can hold, and there may be limitations on where it can be used in Canada. Not suitable for large transfers.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Canada?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Canada if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Canada from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Canada from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Canada from Australia?
Yes, purchasing a money order in Australia and sending it to Canada via postal mail or tracked courier is possible. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Canada from Australia?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Canada with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Canada from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Canada from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.