Searching for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend, or business in Ethiopia?
Recipients will get more birr if you send money to Ethiopia from Australia with an online international money transfer service because they offer more competitive exchange rates and cheaper transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Ethiopia from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Ethiopia
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Ethiopia.
First time sending?
How to send money to Ethiopia from Australia
A money transfer service is a convenient, fast, and cheap way to send money to Ethiopia from Australia. This step-by-step process explains how they work.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page, you can find reputable money transfer services that can transfer money to Ethiopia.
- Create an account. You will need to provide some personal information and proof of identification. It only takes a few minutes to complete.
- Configure the transfer. You’ll need to provide the recipient’s full name, address, bank account number (if you want funds delivered to a bank), and how much money you plan to send. Depending on the service used, it may be possible to choose how funds will be delivered to or collected by the recipient.
- Fund the transfer. Most services accept bank transfers and debit cards. Credit card payments may be supported.
- Check and send. Review the details and start the transfer. You can share a tracking link or reference number with the recipient.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Ethiopia from Australia
- Service fee. How much the money transfer service charges to send money to Ethiopia depends on various factors, including how much is being sent, how it is to be delivered, and how the transaction was funded.
- Collection fee. Charged for the recipient to collect funds.
- Delivery fee. Having money delivered to the recipient’s address typically costs more.
- Cash advance fee. Charged by the credit card issuer when funding a money transfer with a credit card. Interest will also apply.
- Currency exchange rate. Constantly fluctuates. A poor exchange rate can significantly affect the amount the recipient receives.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Ethiopia from Australia
Other methods for sending money to Ethiopia include using a bank transfer, crypto, money order, or prepaid debit card.
- Bank transfers. It's convenient to use your existing bank, but typically at the cost of higher fees, uncompetitive exchange rates, and slower transfer times.
- Crypto. Not suitable for everyone, but it's a fast alternative if you and the recipient are both already set up with crypto wallets. Sending a stablecoin reduces exposure to loss from price volatility, which crypto is notorious for.
- Money orders. Slow, but reliable and secure. Once the recipient receives the money order, they must take it to be cashed in.
- Money transfer agents. A useful alternative if you or the recipient are unbanked, you want to use cash, or if the recipient wants to collect cash.
- Prepaid cards. Easy to load with cash and then sent to the recipient, who can withdraw cash at an ATM in Ethiopia. However, limits on how much money a prepaid card can hold and how much can be withdrawn in a day make it impractical for large transfers.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Ethiopia?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Ethiopia if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Ethiopia from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Ethiopia from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Ethiopia from Australia?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Australia and send it to Ethiopia via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Ethiopia from Australia?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Ethiopia with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Ethiopia from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Ethiopia from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.