Unsure about the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend, or business in Fiji?
Recipients will get more dollars if you send money to Fiji from Australia with an online international money transfer service because they offer more competitive exchange rates and cheaper transfer fees.
Need to transfer money to Fiji from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Fiji
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Fiji.
First time sending?
How to send money to Fiji from Australia
Money transfer services make it easy to send money to Fiji from Australia. This step-by-step guide explains how they work if you’ve never used one before.
- Choose a money transfer service. Compare the various fees, transfer times, and delivery options, among other factors. Choose whichever one suits your needs best. There are several reputable services listed above.
- Open your account. This will involve providing some personal information and proof of identification.
- Set up the transfer. You will be asked for details about the recipient, such as their full name, address, and bank account number (if you want to deliver the funds directly to a bank account in Fiji). You will also need to specify how much money you want to send. Some money transfer services offer different delivery options for your convenience and the recipient’s needs.
- Choose how to pay for the transfer. Bank transfers and debit cards are widely accepted. Credit cards may be accepted too. Please remember that how you fund the transfer affects the time it takes for the money to be received by the beneficiary.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once initiated, you’ll be able to track its progress to keep the recipient informed. You may get a tracking link that can also be shared.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Fiji from Australia
- Service fee. How much you pay to send money to Fiji with a money transfer service will depend on various factors, including how much is being sent, how it is to be delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. The amount charged if configuring a transfer to be collected by the recipient.
- Delivery fee. The amount charged if configuring a transfer to be delivered to the recipient.
- Cash advance fee. The amount the credit card issuer charges when using a credit card to fund a money transfer. Interest will also be applied at the cash advance rate.
- Currency exchange rate. Increasingly important for large transfers since a poor exchange rate will affect how much the recipient receives or cost you more if you have to send a specific amount.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Fiji from Australia
Several alternatives to money transfer services can be used to send money to Fiji. These include using a traditional bank transfer, sending crypto, and using a money order.
- Bank transfer. Convenient since you won't need to open any new accounts, but your existing bank is unlikely to be as cheap or fast as an online money transfer service.
- Crypto. Convenient, fast, and very cheap if you and the recipient have crypto wallets. Once the crypto is in their wallet, they can decide whether to hold it there or withdraw it to a bank account. Sending a stablecoin reduces the risk of price volatility.
- Money orders. One of the oldest ways to transfer money between people. Once you purchase the money order from your bank, you can send it to your recipient’s address in Fiji. Your recipient will be able to cash the money order.
- Money transfer agents. An option if the recipient wants to collect cash, or if one of you is unbanked.
- Prepaid cards. Most cards have transaction limits, such as how much can be loaded and how much can be withdrawn in one go or within a day. Prepaid cards are not an option if you need to transfer a large amount.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Fiji?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Fiji if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Fiji from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Fiji from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Fiji from Australia?
Yes, purchasing a money order in Australia and sending it to Fiji via postal mail or tracked courier is possible. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Fiji from Australia?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Fiji with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Fiji from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Fiji from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.