Are you looking for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend or business in Gambia?
Recipients will get more dalasi for the same amount of dollars if you send money to Gambia from Australia using an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and lower fees.
Need to transfer money to Gambia from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Gambia
- Enjoy great exchange rates and low fees.
- Every transfer carries a delivery promise. Have your money delivered on time or get your money back.
- Safety and security. Remitly uses industry-standard security protocols and encryption.
- Sign up for free to get 3 months of Premium. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Make fast and free transfers to Revolut users in more than 27 countries.
- Wire internationally at excellent exchange rates.
- There are no hidden fees. You know exactly what you’re sending and receiving.
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Gambia.
First time sending?
How to send money to Gambia from Australia
Money transfer services offer a fast, convenient, and affordable way to send money to Gambia from Australia. This step-by-step guide explains how they work if you've never used one before.
- Find a reputable money transfer service. On this page, you can find a list of established money transfer services that can send money to The Gambia. Choose the one that best suits your needs.
- Set up an account. You will need to provide some personal information and proof of identification.
- Configure the transfer. You will be asked to specify how much money you want to send, how you would like it delivered, and the recipient's details. You will see precisely how much money the recipient will receive. This quote may be valid for a limited time since exchange rates fluctuate constantly.
- Choose how you will pay for the transfer. You can use a bank transfer, debit card or cash, and in some cases a credit card. How you pay for the transfer will affect how long it takes to send the money and how much it costs you in fees.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once the transfer is initiated, you'll be able to track the progress of your funds and inform the recipient.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Gambia from Australia
- Service fee. The amount a money transfer service charges for your transaction will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. A fee charged if you want your recipient to be able to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. An additional fee if you choose to have cash delivered to the recipient’s address.
- Cash advance fee. A fee charged by the credit card issuer when you fund a money transfer with a credit card. Interest charges are applied separately.
- Exchange rate. When you send money overseas, the exchange rate used by the transfer service can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Gambia from Australia
There are alternatives to online money transfer services that can be used when sending money to Gambia.
- Bank transfer. Convenient but more expensive and generally slower than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. If the recipient can accept crypto, this can be a very cheap and fast option. Sending a stablecoin means the recipient is not exposed to fluctuations in price, which they would be if receiving Bitcoin or another token. However, Gambia is relatively unfriendly towards crypto.
- Money orders. One of the oldest ways to send money, it's also one of the slowest. Once the recipient receives the paper money order, they can cash it in.
- Money transfer agents are located in most large towns and cities. Check that there is one near the recipient so they can collect the funds.
- Prepaid cards. Transaction limits, such as how much can be loaded and how much can be withdrawn per day, make prepaid cards impractical for large amounts.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Gambia?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Gambia if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Gambia from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Gambia from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Gambia from Australia?
Yes, purchasing a money order in Australia and sending it to Gambia via postal mail or tracked courier is possible. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office or similar agency.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Gambia from Australia?
Yes. Some transfer services may allow you to fund a money transfer to Gambia with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Gambia from Australia?
Yes you can, but Gambia has not yet enacted regulations or legislation specifically regulating digital currency. Neither the Central Bank of Gambia nor the government has taken up a position concerning cryptocurrencies and their legality. Gambia ranks poorly in terms of regulatory friendliness with regards to cryptocurrency.