Are you looking for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend, or business in Malaysia?
Recipients will get more ringgits for the same amount of dollars if you send money to Malaysia from Australia using an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and cheaper fees.
Need to transfer money to Malaysia from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Malaysia
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Malaysia.
First time sending?
How to send money to Malaysia from Australia
Online money transfer services are quick and easy to send money to Malaysia from Australia. This step-by-step guide will show you how they work if you’ve never used one.
- Choose the best money transfer service for you. Compare the various fees, transfer times, and delivery options. Choose whichever one suits your needs best. We only list established and trusted services.
- Create an account. ID proof will be required to open an account. Creating an account only takes a few minutes and can be completed online.
- Configure your transfer. Enter the recipient’s details, including their name, address, and bank account number (if you want the funds delivered directly to a bank account). Depending on the service, various options for how the funds are delivered or collected may be available. Choose whichever suits your needs.
- Choose your preferred payment method. Bank transfers and debit cards are widely supported. Credit cards may be accepted by some services. How you fund the transfer affects the total time it will take for the transfer to complete.
- Send the money. Once initiated, you can track your transfer and share the reference number with the recipient.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Malaysia from Australia
- Service fee. The amount of money a money transfer service charges to send will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. A one-off fee to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. A one-off fee to have cash delivered to the recipient’s address.
- Cash advance fee. Charged by most credit card issuers when funding a money transfer with a credit card. Cash advance interest applies separately.
- Exchange rate. Although not technically a fee, the exchange rate you get plays an important role. A bad rate can mean the recipient gets less or you have to pay more.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Malaysia from Australia
Here are some options if you are looking for an alternative to online money transfer services for sending money to Malaysia.
- Bank transfer. Convenient but more expensive and generally slower than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. A cheap and fast option, but may require some time to get set up and can be daunting the first time. Sending a stablecoin reduces the recipient's exposure to volatility in crypto prices.
- Money orders. Although reliable, it is one of the slowest options available. Attractive if speed isn't a concern.
- Money transfer agents. A popular way to deliver cash quickly. Exchange rates are unlikely to be as competitive as those offered by online money transfer services.
- Prepaid cards. Better alternatives are available for large transfers. An option for smaller transfers where speed is not a top priority.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Malaysia?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Malaysia if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Malaysia from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Malaysia from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Malaysia from Australia?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Australia and send it to Malaysia via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office, etc.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Malaysia from Australia?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Malaysia with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Malaysia from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Malaysia from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.