Are you looking for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend or business in Sierra Leone?
Recipients will get more leones for the same amount of dollars if you send money to Sierra Leone from Australia using an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and lower fees.
Need to transfer money to Sierra Leone from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Sierra Leone
- Enjoy great exchange rates and low fees.
- Every transfer carries a delivery promise. Have your money delivered on time or get your money back.
- Safety and security. Remitly uses industry-standard security protocols and encryption.
- Receive 20% off the fee on your next money transfer when you signup today.
- MoneyGram offers many send and receive options with money arriving in minutes.
- Its global network includes agents in over 200 countries and territories.
- Send money from Australia with a few taps using the MoneyGram app.
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Sierra Leone.
First time sending?
How to send money to Sierra Leone from Australia
Money transfer services are a convenient, fast and cheap way to send money to Sierra Leone from Australia. This step-by-step process explains how it works if you haven’t used one before.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page you will find reputable money transfer services that can transfer money to Sierra Leone.
- Open your account. You must provide personal information and proof of identification to open an account with a money transfer service.
- Configure the transfer. Select how much money you want to send, how you would like it delivered, and the recipient’s details. You’ll see exactly how much money the recipient will receive. This quote may be valid for a limited time since exchange rates fluctuate constantly.
- Fund the transfer. You can fund the transfer with a bank transfer, debit card or cash, and in some cases with a credit card. The method you choose will affect how long it takes for the money to reach its destination and the fees you will pay.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once the transfer is initiated you’ll be able to track its progress and keep the recipient informed.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Sierra Leone from Australia
- Service fee. The amount an online money transfer service charges for your transaction will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. A fee charged if you want your recipient to be able to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. An additional fee if you choose to have cash delivered to the recipient’s address.
- Cash advance fee. A fee charged by the credit card issuer when you fund a money transfer with a credit card. Interest charges are applied separately.
- Exchange rate. When you send money overseas, the exchange rate used by the transfer service can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Sierra Leone from Australia
If you would prefer not to use an online money transfer service, there are other methods you can use to send money to Sierra Leone.
- Bank transfer. Convenient but more expensive and generally slower than an online international money transfer service.
- Crypto. If the recipient can accept crypto, this can be a very cheap and fast option. Sending a stablecoin means the recipient is not exposed to fluctuations in price, as they would if receiving Bitcoin or another token.
- Money orders. One of the oldest ways to send money, money orders are also one of the slowest. Once the recipient receives the paper money order, they can cash it in.
- Money transfer agents are located in most large towns and cities. Check that there is one near the recipient so they can collect the funds.
- Prepaid cards. Transaction limits, such as how much can be loaded and how much can be withdrawn per day, make prepaid cards impractical for large amounts.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Sierra Leone?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with an online money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Sierra Leone if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Sierra Leone from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Sierra Leone from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Sierra Leone from Australia?
Yes, purchasing a money order in Australia and sending it to Sierra Leone via postal mail or tracked courier is possible. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post officeor similar agency.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Sierra Leone from Australia?
Yes. Some online transfer services allow you to fund a money transfer to Sierra Leone with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Sierra Leone from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Sierra Leone from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.