Are you looking for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend or business in Timor-Leste?
Recipients will get more US dollars for the same amount of Australian dollars if you send money to Timor-Leste from Australia using an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and lower fees.
Need to transfer money to Timor-Leste from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Timor-Leste
OFX Money Transfer
- Enjoy better rates and fees.
- Transfers to most countries take 1-2 business days. Track your transfer online or with the OFX mobile app.
- With support staff that are located in Australia, USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Enjoy great exchange rates and low fees.
- Every transfer carries a delivery promise. Have your money delivered on time or get your money back.
- Safety and security. Remitly uses industry-standard security protocols and encryption.
- Provide clients with excellent foreign exchange rates.
- Manage your international currency payments for free, with no hidden fees.
- A personal Account Manager is on hand to ensure a fast, seamless transfer.
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Timor-Leste.
First time sending?
How to send money to Timor-Leste from Australia
Online money transfer services are an easy, fast and cheap way to send money to Timor-Leste from Australia. This step-by-step process explains how it works if you haven’t used one before.
- Choose what money transfer service to use. Compare fees, transfer times, delivery options, etc. Choose whichever one suits your needs best.
- Open your account. To open an account with a money transfer service you will usually need to provide personal information and proof of identification.
- Configure the transfer. You will be asked for details such as the recipient’s full name, address, bank account number (if you want funds delivered to a bank account), and how much money you plan to send. Different money transfer services offer varying options on how the funds you send to Timor-Leste will be delivered to the recipient. Select the delivery option that best serves you and the recipient.
- Choose how to pay for the transfer. Your options include bank transfer, debit card or cash, and in some cases you may be able to pay by credit card. How you fund the transfer will affect how long it takes for the money to reach the recipient, and how much you pay in fees.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once the transfer is initiated you’ll be able to track the progress of your funds and inform the recipient.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Timor-Leste from Australia
- Service fee. The amount a money transfer service charges for your transaction will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. A fee charged if you want your recipient to be able to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. An additional fee if you choose to have cash delivered to the recipient’s address.
- Cash advance fee. A fee charged by the credit card issuer when you fund a money transfer with a credit card. Interest charges are applied separately.
- Exchange rate. When you send money overseas, the exchange rate used by the transfer service can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Timor-Leste from Australia
There are other ways to send money to Timor-Leste if you do not want to use an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. Sending money with your bank may be easy, but it is typically more expensive and slower than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. Assuming the recipient is willing, you could send them crypto. They can hold or convert it and withdraw funds to their bank account. Transferring crypto between wallets on the same exchange is typically free and instant.
- Money orders. One of the oldest ways to send money, but also one of the slowest. Once the recipient receives the paper money order, they can cash it in.
- Money transfer agents. A money transfer agent is an option if you don’t have a bank account or want to use cash. Check that there is a money transfer agent near the recipient where they can collect their funds.
- Prepaid cards. You can load a prepaid card with cash and post it to your recipient for them to use at an ATM in Timor-Leste. There may be limits on how much you can load onto the card and how much cash your recipient can withdraw from the ATM in any one day.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Timor-Leste?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Timor-Leste if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Timor-Leste from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Timor-Leste from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Timor-Leste from Australia?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Australia and send it to Timor-Leste via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office or similar agency.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Timor-Leste from Australia?
Yes. You can fund a money transfer to Timor-Leste with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Timor-Leste from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Timor-Leste from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.