Are you looking for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend or business in Uganda?
Recipients will get more shillings for the same amount of dollars if you send money to Uganda from Australia using an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and lower fees.
Need to transfer money to Uganda from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Uganda
- Wise Borderless multi-currency receiving accounts. This gives you access to a digital currency wallet that you can hold and transact in over 50 currencies.
- Borderless Debit Card. The FX optimised debit card is attached to your Wise Borderless account that can be used to withdraw or pay for purchases in foreign currency within or outside Australia.
- Android and Apple Apps. Indulge convenience by transacting thru the Wise App anytime and anywhere!
- Fund options. Loads of options to fund your Wise account including transfer from Debit and credit cards, or thru a local bank transfer. Quick and easy!
- Enjoy great exchange rates and low fees.
- Every transfer carries a delivery promise. Have your money delivered on time or get your money back.
- Safety and security. Remitly uses industry-standard security protocols and encryption.
- Provide clients with excellent foreign exchange rates.
- Manage your international currency payments for free, with no hidden fees.
- A personal Account Manager is on hand to ensure a fast, seamless transfer.
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Uganda.
First time sending?
How to send money to Uganda from Australia
Money transfer services are a quick, easy and cheap way to send money to Uganda from Australia. This step-by-step guide will show you how it works if you've never used one.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page, you can find reputable money transfer services that can transfer money to Uganda.
- Create an account. You will need to provide some personal information and proof of identification.
- Choose the amount to send. You can either type in the amount you want to send or select one of the preset amounts. The exchange rate will be displayed, so you can see how much money the recipient will receive in their local currency.
- Choose how to pay for the transfer. You could fund the transfer account with a bank transfer, debit card, credit card, or cash. Remember that how you are funding the transfer affects the time it takes for the transfer to take place and for the recipient to get the money.
- Confirm the details and send the money. The recipient will receive a notification that the funds are available to be collected, or it will be deposited into their bank account. You may wish to share the reference number with the recipient since it will be required to collect money.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Uganda from Australia
- Service fee. The amount of money a money transfer service charges to send your funds will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. If you'd like your recipient to be able to pick up cash in person, you may be charged an additional fee.
- Delivery fee. A further fee may apply if you need to have cash couriered to your recipient's address.
- Cash advance fee. This is a fee charged by the credit card issuer when funding a money transfer with a credit card. Interest charges will also be incurred.
- Exchange rate. When you send money overseas, the exchange rate used by the transfer service can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Uganda from Australia
Other options for sending money to Uganda include using a transfer service like Western Union or MoneyGram or a prepaid debit card.
- Bank transfer. Sending money with your bank may be easy, but it is typically more expensive, slower, and less flexible than an international money transfer service.
- Crypto. Cryptocurrency is not considered legal tender in Uganda, and the government has not licensed any entity to sell or facilitate the trade of cryptocurrencies. However, you can send crypto if the recipient has a crypto wallet.
- Money orders. This is one of the oldest methods of transferring money between people and can be done by postal mail or courier. The recipient can then cash the money order.
- Money transfer agents are located in most large towns and cities. Check that there is one near the recipient so they can collect the funds.
- Prepaid cards. Prepaid cards can be an option for you to send money to Uganda. The recipient can use the card to withdraw cash from ATMs, although there may be limits on how much they can withdraw at one time or within a day. Other fees may be associated with using a prepaid card, such as foreign exchange transaction fees.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Uganda?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Uganda if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Uganda from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Uganda from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Uganda from Australia?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Australia and send it to Uganda via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, local post office or similar agency.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Uganda from Australia?
Yes. Some transfer services allow you to fund a money transfer to Uganda with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Uganda from Australia?
Cryptocurrency is not considered legal tender in Uganda, and the government has not licensed any entity to sell or facilitate the trade of cryptocurrencies.