Are you looking for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend or business in Zambia?
Recipients will get more kwachas for the same amount of dollars if you send money to Zambia from Australia using an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and lower fees.
Need to transfer money to Zambia from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Zambia
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Zambia.
First time sending?
How to send money to Zambia from Australia
Online money transfer services are a quick, convenient and affordable way to send money to Zambia from Australia. If you've never used one before, here's a step-by-step guide.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page, you can find reputable money transfer services that can transfer money to Zambia.
- Open your account. You will need to provide personal information and proof of identification to open an account.
- Configure the transfer. The transfer service will require the Zambian recipient's full name, address, bank account number (if you want the funds delivered to a bank account), and how much money you're sending. Depending on the service used, there may be different options for how the funds are delivered. Choose what works best for you and the person receiving the money.
- Choose how to pay. You can fund your transfer with a bank transfer, debit card, or cash, and in some cases, a credit card may also be acceptable. How you choose to fund your transfer will affect the time it takes for the recipient to get the money and the fees you will pay.
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once the transfer is initiated, you'll be able to track its progress. You may wish to share the reference number with the recipient since it may be required to collect money.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Zambia from Australia
- Service fee. The amount a money transfer service charges to send your money will vary depending on the amount being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. An extra fee charged if you'd like your recipient to be able to pick up cash rather than receive a credit to their bank account.
- Delivery fee. An additional fee charged to have cash delivered to the recipient’s address, if you choose this delivery method.
- Cash advance fee. A charge by a credit card issuer if you fund a money transfer with a credit card. Interest charges also apply.
- Exchange rate. When you send money overseas, the exchange rate used by the transfer service can significantly impact how much your recipient will get. Compare quotes to get the best deal.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Zambia from Australia
Several alternatives to online money transfer services can be used for sending money to Zambia.
- Bank transfer. This is a convenient way to send money, but it can be expensive due to high fees and poor exchange rates. Transfers can also take several days to process.
- Crypto. Assuming the recipient is willing, you could send them crypto. They can hold or convert it and withdraw funds to their bank account. Transferring crypto between wallets on the same exchange is typically free and instant.
- Money orders. You can purchase a paper money order in Australia and then send it to Zambia via postal mail or courier. The recipient can then cash the money order.
- Money transfer agents. A money transfer agent is an option if you don’t have a bank account or want to use cash. Check that there is a money transfer agent near the recipient where they can collect their funds.
- Prepaid cards. A prepaid card can be a convenient way to send money to Zambia, since your recipient can use it to withdraw cash at an ATM. However, there are often limits on how much you can load onto the card and how much your recipient can withdraw in one go or within a day.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Zambia?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Zambia if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Zambia from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Zambia from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Zambia from Australia?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Australia and send it to Zambia via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office or similar agency.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Zambia from Australia?
Yes. Some transfer services allow you to fund a money transfer to Zambia with a credit card. However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Zambia from Australia?
Yes, cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum can be sent to Zambia from Australia. The recipient can then choose whether to sell the crypto for cash or use it to transact in stores and with people who accept it.