Are you looking for the best way to send money from Australia to a family member, friend or business in Tanzania?
Recipients will get more shillings for the same amount of dollars if you send money to Tanzania from Australia using an online international money transfer service because of their competitive exchange rates and lower fees.
Need to transfer money to Tanzania from Australia?
Best ways to send money to Tanzania
OFX Money Transfer
- Enjoy better rates and fees.
- Transfers to most countries take 1-2 business days. Track your transfer online or with the OFX mobile app.
- With support staff that are located in Australia, USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Enjoy great exchange rates and low fees.
- Every transfer carries a delivery promise. Have your money delivered on time or get your money back.
- Safety and security. Remitly uses industry-standard security protocols and encryption.
- Send money to 220+ countries and territories.
- Xe rates are consistently some of the best in the business and trusted by millions.
- With millions of transfers under its belt last year, Xe knows how to ensure your money and information are treated accordingly.
Compare more money transfer services before you send money to Tanzania.
First time sending?
How to send money to Tanzania from Australia
Money transfer services offer a quick, easy and affordable way to send money to Tanzania from Australia. This step-by-step guide explains how they work if you’ve never used one before.
- Choose a money transfer service. On this page, you can find reputable money transfer services that can transfer money to Tanzania.
- Set up an account. This will usually involve providing some personal information and proof of identification.
- Set up the transfer. You will need to provide details such as the recipient’s full name, address, bank account number (if you want funds delivered to a bank), and how much money you plan to send. Depending on the service used, it may be possible to choose how funds will be delivered.
- Choose how to pay for the transfer. You could fund the transfer using a bank transfer, debit card or cash, and in some cases a credit card. How you fund the transfer affects how long it will take for the transfer to go through and how much it will cost
- Send the money and track the transfer. Once initiated, you’ll be able to track its progress and keep the recipient informed.
What are the fees and charges?
Costs for sending money to Tanzania from Australia
- Service fee. The amount a money transfer service charges for your transaction will vary depending on the amount of money being sent, how it is being delivered, and how the transaction is being funded.
- Collection fee. An additional fee charged if you want your recipient to be able to pick up cash.
- Delivery fee. A fee charged to have cash delivered to the recipient’s address, if you choose this delivery method.
- Cash advance fee. A fee set by the credit card issuer if you fund a money transfer with a credit card. Interest charges also apply.
- Exchange rate. When you send money overseas, the exchange rate used by the transfer service can significantly impact how much your recipient will get.
Looking for other options?
Alternative ways to send money to Tanzania from Australia
Here are some alternative ways to send money to Tanzania if you don't want to use an online money transfer service.
- Bank transfer. You can make a bank-to-bank transfer to Tanzania from your Australian bank account. This will usually take 1-2 days to process, unlike an online transfer service which may complete the process in minutes. Bank transfer fees vary but are typically higher than online transfer service fees.
- Crypto. If the recipient can accept crypto, this can be a very cheap and fast option. Sending a stablecoin means the recipient is not exposed to fluctuations in price, as they would be if receiving Bitcoin or another token. However, there is no legislation to support the local conversion of crypto to fiat currency or pay for services or goods in Tanzania.
- Money orders. A money order is one of the oldest ways to send money from Australia to Tanzania. Once you purchase the paper money order, you can send it by post or courier. The recipient can then cash the money order.
- Money transfer agents are located in most large towns and cities. Check that there is one near the recipient so they can collect the funds.
- Prepaid cards. These can be purchased in Australia and then used to withdraw cash from an ATM in Tanzania. Some prepaid cards may have fees for loading money, making purchases and withdrawing cash. There may also be limits on how much money can be loaded onto the card and how much can be withdrawn in one go or within a day.
Still not sure?
How long does it take for money sent from Australia to arrive in Tanzania?
The time frame will depend on the method used to send the money. For example, a bank transfer can take a few days, while money sent with a money transfer service can arrive within minutes.
Can I send money to Tanzania if the recipient has no bank account?
Yes. You can still send money through a transfer service if the recipient has no bank account. The sender can configure the money transfer so the recipient can collect cash from a specific location, or a courier can deliver the cash. Alternatively, you could use a money order, send crypto, or even send a prepaid card.
Is it safe to send money to Tanzania from Australia?
Yes, sending money to Tanzania from Australia is safe when you use a reputable company. We only list established money transfer services on Finty.
Can I send a money order to Tanzania from Australia?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a money order in Australia and send it to Tanzania via postal mail or tracked courier. The recipient can then cash the money order at a bank, credit union, local post office or similar agency.
Can I use my credit card to send money to Tanzania from Australia?
Yes. Some, but not all, online money transfer services will allow you to fund a money transfer to Tanzania with a credit card . However, your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee since the transaction will most likely be classified as a cash equivalent. Additionally, the transaction will immediately incur interest at the cash advance rate.
Can I send cryptocurrency to Tanzania from Australia?
There is no legal framework to regulate cryptocurrencies through the Bank of Tanzania. Therefore, Tanzania has not yet enacted regulations or legislation regulating digital currency. However, P2P payments and trading via online digital crypto trading platforms exist.